THE JOHN MERRILL MINISTRY - "Embracing and honouring all faiths and none"
RSS

Recent Posts

How I plan a pilgrimage walk
I am notme when I walk
I AM NOT ME WHEN I WALK
Margaret Thatchers Funeral
My Easter Weekend

Categories

Margaret Thatchers funeral
My Easter weekend
Pilgrimages
THOUGHTS
powered by

My Blog

I am notme when I walk

I am not me when I walk by Revd.John N. Merrill

This may, at first glance, seem strange and almost nonsensical, but it is real. I have realised for a long time that a great change occurs when I put my boots and rucksack on and go for a long walk. I don't just look for it or wonder what will happen, it just does; I am transformed. The immediate everyday life disappears and a new wondrous life comes into being. For a long while I ignored the signs and what was happening, now I take note and simply am in awe of the magic that occurs. For none of this happens in my “normal” life, although more recently there has started to be a major overlap.

As I stride out the door I leave “normal” life behind and enter a world where everything is possible and full of miracles. I don't expect or ask anything, it just happens. I walk with an open mind, do not preplan anything and encounter a never ending sequence of events, occurrences and much synchronicity. I just reach a crossroads or a point in the walk and a new door opens with amazing gifts. I have been aware of this crucially for the last five years but I know it has been happening all my life, but never really understood or acknowledged it.

It was while walking to Mont St. Michel, in June 2016, that everything slotted into place in my mind; and I said to myself for the first time, “I am not me when I walk.” I had had bad weather, no accommodation, no guidebook for awhile, the paths were overgrown and the waymarking was awful, yet I strode out each day, never thinking of quitting. Just quietly confident to keep walking and everything would be fine. I planned nothing or had any kind of schedule and had not booked any campsite or accommodation, Battered but delighted and full of joy I reached Mont St. Michel and the deepest feelings of gratitude and humbleness overcame me. More profound feelings than I had ever experienced before.

I believe the true story of this pilgrimage walk demonstrates this ”remarkable me.” So many unforgettable moments occurred. I even surprised myself by speaking fluently in French, something I have never had the courage to do before; I quite simply felt at home, although I had never been in the area before. The helpfulness of the people I met all along the route really surprised me. Even seeking accommodation in the early stages I wasn't just told there was no rooms were available but they rang around trying to locate a bed.

Even the first night on the park bench by the river in Winchester, I felt totally safe, at home, and slept well and undisturbed. Then in the early morning entering the cathedral I was most warmly welcomed by the Canon and sat in “choir stall” pew for the service. Partway through we all shook hands and said “Peace be with you”, a heart wrenching moment. Then to crown it all the Canon came to me and gave me a prayer and blessing for my walk to Mont St. Michel; a moment I shall never forget.

Then right at the end after more than 200 miles of walking I walked along the sandy peninsula to the start of the crossing to Mont St. Michel. You need a guide for this dangerous crossing and I hadn't got a clue who to ask and had seen no-one. Yet just at the very moment I reached the sandbar a guide and party suddenly appeared out of a sand-dune and they allowed me to join them across the 7 km of sand, mud and rivers; truly remarkable.

(Copyright – Revd. John N. Merrill – August 2016)

14 Comments to I am notme when I walk:

Comments RSS
collegepaper writing on 10 November 2016 05:22
It is my first visit to this site; I am visiting this website and read your post such as meaningful and helpful blog post .I take much information from here.

Buy on 11 October 2017 06:14
It is superb content I thought and even I was searching similar this subject articles for knowing about it. And I truly enjoyed to read plus collected a tremendous information about it.

www.essayprime.co.uk on 18 October 2017 13:24
I really enjoyed the blog because you arranged every fact in a very beautiful manner which gives it a look of series in which topics are connected amazingly. Nice work.

planet minecraft on 26 October 2017 07:21
planet minecraft Minecraft is a combination of exploration, creativity, and survival

write an assignment for me on 17 November 2017 05:46
This will assure united states a larger higher level of protection, as we understand utrapiona Without a real challenging fight for any kind of performance

do my paper for me on 22 February 2018 11:53
I genuinely gotten in examining your article. I found this as an instructive and captivating post, so I think it is extraordinarily profitable and capable. I might need to thank you for the effort you have made in making this article.

uk essay on 24 March 2018 07:11
Focus on what the thought is about, and not on diverse perspectives that not concerning the real perspective, along these determinations you will get a great deal of issue of the gathering of people. Highly would have done well to you for offering this marvelous post.

olymptrade on 22 May 2018 12:16
This is extremely fascinating substance! I have completely delighted in perusing your focuses and have reached the conclusion that you are right about a hefty portion of them. You are extraordinary.

nightrush on 09 July 2018 13:14
Lower stakes may mean lower sum for you to stash however since dangers are not that extraordinary, you wouldn't lose much if you lose.

facebook video on 24 July 2018 02:39
Reply to comment

http://descargarandroidapks.com/es/descargar-you-tv-player-gratis/ on 01 September 2018 18:33

ryanjackson on 10 October 2018 12:31
This is my first experience to visit here and i really like the blogs which you share in this. This post which you discuss about the i am notme when i walk. Very well information you share in it. I surely visit this website again to get more interesting blogs. keep sharing. rubber sheet

Jaime on 11 October 2018 13:19
I am watching the some important information provided here. This blog content id very unique for the other blogs. I am appreciate in the work. rubbergymmatsuk.co.uk

Jaime on 11 October 2018 13:19